Friday, February 22, 2019

Final respects, and the end of a ERA, Sheriff Joe Max Taylor

I want to make sure I start this with this statement.

I am not judging anyone, this is my opinion, and simply speak for myself and my feelings around it. Its very clear that I see the world, and move through it, much differently than most... That has both been a blessing, and a burden in my life. I would not have it any other way!

I just got back from Galveston and attending Joe Max Taylors funeral. My intention for this trip was of course, to see friends and family, but ultimately, I was there and made the arrangements to pay my respects to a man that was, in large part, responsible for where I am in my life today. And many of those that know, and follow me, know it has been quite an adventure.

The era of Law Enforcement that I came up in, at the time, seemed like a real struggle on the side of "making a living" but man, the experience sure did create a LIFE that I could have never imagined.

I have seen amazing, spectacular things. Acts of kindness, devotion to loved ones, efforts to save others. I have experiences cultures and events that MOST of the people in this world will never see.

I have also, seen, tasted, smelled and experienced ugliness and destruction that again, MOST of the people in our world (1st world) will never see, nor even believe as a truth.

I have hugged and loved many, and I have fought for my life and the lives of others. I have been blessed with the kindness of others, and I have seen the true selfishness of this world.

I have gone 140mph chasing badguys with the rush of adrenaline and excitement that is unexplainable, and I have held the hands of people and been the last face they saw in this life.

I have cried tears of sadness that took me to my knees, and I have cried tears of joy that created the same effect.

I have lifted people up, and Brother, I have beaten some fools down.

I have experienced a Brotherhood that also cannot be explained in words, and experienced betrayal on levels that still, even to this day, still make me shake my head in amazement and wonder.

I have seen children come from circumstances that are unfathomable and overcome to attain greatness, and I have watched children suffer unimaginable terribleness.

I have experienced the suffering of divorce, and the amazement of true, everlasting love.

I have had guns to peoples heads, and ready to end a life, and I have been overcome with amazement of the magic of a first breath. 

I have been on adventures of excitement and blood pumping energy as I kicked in a door, and I have felt the weight and sadness of kicking one to find devastation. 

I have experienced those who see me as a hero with a cape, and those who see me as an enemy with crosshairs.
.
I have birthed brotherhoods that can never die, and placed my hands on a Brothers coffin to say goodbye. 

I have heard church bells ring in celebration, and Firefighter Bells rung in remembrance.

I have felt the horns of ferry boats with the smells of sea air, and I have heard the horns of bagpipes and smelled fresh dug soil. 

I learned how to defend myself to any threat, and how to surrender myself to the struggles of life. 

I know what good whisky smells like, and jailhouse, toiletbowl wine as well. 

I have eaten amazing food in amazing places, and also eaten about everything else in this world, unknowingly at other places (to include the Galveston County Jail).

All of these things I have experienced in my life are so much different than so many others, BECAUSE of Joe Max Taylor. I could not imagine not paying my respects to that man.



Now, Joe Max didn't walk me through any of those things, not a single one....But because of him, his leadership, and "Old School" police work, I experienced it with his representation, his leadership, and his directives. 

I look back and try to imagine, had I not worked for Joe Max, I would have never met Donna....And that is something I cant begin to even try and imagine. If not for Joe Max Taylor, the life as I know it now, the adventures I have had up to this point after 1992, would not be the same, and I am so blessed for what I have. How could I NOT have some Loyalty and Honor to pay to Joe Max Taylor?

When I got to Galveston, it was much like other GCSO reunions. Lots of old faces, old stories, memories, and connection. There was a time, due to betrayal, I did not enjoy, nor did I want those connections. As I age, looking back on my life, I realize those connections are a large part of who I am...And I honor those....Even the shitty ones. 

Our lives are a continuing growing process, we move, we struggle, we succeed, and we fail....Back and forth, "For the days of our lives" (Roll shitty soap opera music). But, there are moments, periods, and timeframes. Its almost like we live several lives in this lifetime, or it has been that for me... But, there are pivotal people that are instrumental in all of that. Joe Max Taylor, and the Galveston County Sheriffs Office are a HUGE part of this for me. 

The service was held at the Convention Center in Galveston. It was a large room, probably could seat 1000 people. The front was lined with elaborate displays of flowers, a crowd gathered, and our Leader, laying at rest, for those of us to pay respects to he, and his family, as well as the new Sheriff, Henry Trochessette. 






 Me, Sheriff Henry Trochessette, Captain Jack Allen, Chris Edgar 




I was really amazed to see the crowd so small. I figured this would be an "elbow to elbow" event, of proportions I had not seen before....At this point, I was NOT seeing this.

I stayed for the entire visitation, and it swells my heart even as I type this, some of the people I was able to see that I have not in 20 years. Freddy Poor (he was the last Sheriffs Office person I saw when I resigned, and I gave him my badge....I still see that day clearly in my head), Richard Gonzales who was Henrys Boss in my day...Wild, loud, shiny and colorful....Just a great guy. Lonnie Cox, a now District Judge who I worked MANY cases with when he was a new D.A.. Tommy Hansen, the Drag Car Man!! Ron Carter, one of the baddest mother fuckers I have ever met. Big, black, beautiful, mean, and what was scary, was even when he was choking someone out, or slamming their head into the pavement, he was laughing....Hearing that laugh as we hugged again was almost overwhelming.

I was able to meet Joe Max Brother. Henry turned me around and introduced me as we were talking. I shook his hand and said.

"Joe Max gave me my start in this field. I am now the Deputy Director of Emergency Management in Park County Colorado, and that would not have been possible without Joe Max. I owe him a huge debt of respect and honor. The life I live, professionally, and in large part, personally, are because of him"

As he shook my hand, his eyes filled with tears and he said.

"Oh my goodness, you came all the way from Colorado?"

And man, those tears in his eyes were about to just make me start sobbing. So I swallowed the frog in my throat, stepped back a bit, spread my arms out to include Henry, Jack Allen, Chris Edgar, and Izreal Garza (all still friends) and said.

"We ARE because of Joe Max. What we have now, and have had over the last 25 years, is all because of Joe Max"

Then I walked up, shook his hand, and said,

"I am HONORED to be here"

There was a camera man darting around, and he broke up all of this to get a picture. I really hope I get to see that picture someday. There is a LOT of emotion going on in that capture.

After paying respects, I went back and made some more connections and said hellos.

Rachel Lease walked up to me, and I was overwhelmed with emotion to see her all grown up like that. Off in the distance were Ray and Melanie Lease. Ray, to me, is a legend. He was my commander for 8 years, and I thoroughly believed in Ray Lease in my days serving under him. I would STILL lay down for that bastard. He taught me so much about patience, calm in adversity, rolling shit you cant control of your back, WINNING on the streets...He is/was a HUGE mentor for me. I know many don't have the same respect for Ray-Bud, but my experience was, and will always be, very special with him.

Melanie and I have always had a special relationship because she knew who I was, how I operated, the dangers I chased, and she STILL trusted me with her son, and his life. After Shane, we did much to carry each other through that suffering. Every time I see Melanie Lease, there is a glow around her. She is an angel to me. I DO love this family!!

I was amazed to see that the crowd rarely got bigger than just a couple hundred people, and most of those were hanging out throughout the service. I was AMAZED I was not seeing more people come pay these respects. I personally know of MANY people who are living the life they do today because of Joe Max Taylor, and there were more NOT there, than there were there. I couldn't understand.

I left that night, and went the next day to see the Sheriff  Lie in State at the Law Enforcement Center in Galveston. Man, Henry did such a great job. All of the units were Joe Max Taylor colored again, and the honor guard was in long sleeve, old school, Joe Max Taylor khaki's (My uniform). I just had to compliment Henry on how special that was to me and how great it looked. Man, it was so very cool.









In this confined space, there was a decent crowd, lots of Old School folks present....Politicians, judges, old island names....A good representation of people and names that are truly significant to Galveston Island.


Captain Ron Carter (This is one bad MO-FO right here!!) and Me. The only man that I ever heard say, "One of these days, I am going to arrest a nun", and I was there when he did!! lol!!

 Captain Ron Carter, Chris Edgar, Me
Cory Dotson, Alvin PD, we worked the jail, 2-10pm shift together for 2 years. 

 Reggie Jackson, GCSO, Warrants Division, we worked the jail, 2-10pm, for 2 years together. Been 20 years for us....Man, I can hear his laugh now...  
 Jose Lozano, GCSO, Warrants, we worked the jail, 2-10pm, for 2 years and a little warrant service stuff together.
Me, and Kenny "frickin" Parker. Harris County Pct 8 Constable, working Honor Gard Duty for Joe Max. When I FIRST started to ride on the streets, I rode with this guy right here. Carzy little sumbitch! We had some good times while I was getting my feet wet. 



There was a large Sheriffs Department presence, and a large presence of other agencies and officers that started under Joe Max. But still, so MANY that were NOT there. 

I watched Henry pin a GCSO Badge on the Sheriff, and then witnessed them close and seal the casket. That I was able to capture these moments is pretty amazing. I was FULL of PRIDE










.They roll Ole Joe Max out to the car, completely silent, 150 men and women in uniform, standing at attention, with family and SO leaders following. He was carried by some great representation of the Sheriffs Office, HIS people. 






Back to the Convention center for the funeral.

Now the disappointment settled in....

I am BY FAR a religious man. I have a belief in God, but it is mine, and I need no one to tell me how that experience is "suppose" to be, so I generally stay away from church and religion.

This was going to be a Catholic Mass, and I will say, I don't feel a need to ever attend another Mass, so I walked out as the service started and had a cigarette. I walked back in, and I was just stunned!

There was hardly anyone here!! There had to have been close to 50% of the seats empty!? How was this possible??

I sat down next to Chris Edgar and just took this in for a few. I listened to the speakers that eulogized Joe Max, and they did a GREAT job. I still don't know who the first guy that spoke was, but man, he defined Joe Max and his life as a Peace Officer and then to become Sheriff, and it just HIT me....He was on target, his words just resonated with me....I might have even said an AMEN or two!! GREAT job!

I am thinking the second was his Son in Law, and this was much more personal and family oriented, but it just showed that in his personal, as well as professional life, he did things HIS WAY, screw the haters, screw opinions, he lived his life, and served his community HIS way, and it was a GREAT way to pursue ones life....It IS a great way to pursue ones life!

When the speakers were done, I went back to the crowd, and found myself to be emotional at the disappointing turn out. I got up, and went back out to smoke again, wait for the service to end.


After the service, I said my goodbyes to everyone, wished well on them all, and made my way back to Kemah to get ready to fly the next day. 

I was with Chris Edgar, and we were both, just so amazed at how many people did not attend this service, or funeral. There are chiefs and leaders in cities and communities that are doing so because Joe Max gave them a start. There are people who have avoided prison and retired with great careers because of Joe Max Taylor.... It just amazes me....I just don't get it.


Mid service of Joe Max funeral. 



 Me and Chris Edgar having dinner at TopWater Grill, in of all places, San Leon Texas. Chris and I worked the jail together, and a little street stuff. He was a BEAST in the jail, and if you ever needed help, this guy was always SUPERMAN!! Love this cat!!
 Me and Chris Edgar. 




Now, I know, there are people with health, or family issues, or whatever, again, I am not judging, but I am stunned at how few people, many not far, did not attend.

Its funny, every generation looks at the ones behind them and says "The world is going to hell" or "These kids have no idea", etc.... But to see MY era, and those I was led by before me, not make a presence at this event; it made me very sad.

Brotherhood, Loyalty, Honor, Respect.... I have been watching those traits die with these generations coming up behind me, but to see it in my era?? Man....

But overall, what it did do is make me very happy I went, even more honored for being there. It was GREAT to see some of the old guys, and it really always is for me. I really had some special bonds and friendships with so many in those times. I was TRULY Honored to be there!

I spent the day with Jack Allen, and we went through old stomping grounds, and told stories....Man, so many stories that could NOT take place in todays era of Law Enforcement. We reminisced of good and bad times, experiences and hardships, successes, adrenaline rushed, how we NEVER quit jacking with each other and poking at each other....Man, I don't know that I have had such a great day in a VERY long time. That time with Jack on Monday will forever be a great memory...Thank you Brother!


 Captain Jack Allen, Lee County Sheriffs Office. We were partners ont he streets for about 2 years (I think) and Jack and I have stood off, and IN WARS together.
 This guy right here? I would still lay down for, and he would for me, and any of mine too. Most SOLID Mutha Fukkah I know!! NUTHIN but love!!


So, as Chris and I parted ways, we hugged, and I looked at him and said "Well, if honor has to die with us, I guess we will carry it Proudly"

I will say, one thing I did get from this experience is, live your live on YOUR terms. Do it the way you want to. Live large, play hard, enjoy every minute, because ultimately, when that last breath comes, that is all that matters!!

1 comment: