Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Any tips?

I have gotten good advice here before so I figured I would try this and see what you guys think.

I am at a total loss as to what I should do next. I have been unemployed for 8 ½ months now (except for a short stint in a sales gig that just wasn’t for me) and am just unable to find a job. Now granted, I am being somewhat particular and am trying to land something kinda specific… Program director/director/volunteer director, etc… Some kind of an administrative role but am also applying for some case management positions.

I am avoiding Houston and Dallas area and came to the conclusion that if I had to leave the Hill Country, I will move out of Texas. So this last 2 weeks, I have broadened my scope and have looked and applied in 5 states and 20+ cities. I have put in 90 resumes in the last 10 days all over the West, Mid-West and Texas and still have not gotten a call.

I have used all the job search engines, State job boards, non profit resources for each state, craigslist, newspapers….Every resource I can think of!

I have checked and double checked my references, never have left an organization in “bad standing” and have an impeccable professional record. Send my resume to a family friend who is a recruiter on the east Coast to get my resume fine tuned.

I have a very diverse professional life and have a Masters Degree… I just don’t get it and thought maybe you guys would have some feedback as to what I am missing, what I might change, what else I should do…

Is it just really that bad?? Met a guy with a PhD the other day working as a cashier at a liquor store, saw an old friend I graduated with who is working in the laundry at the State Hospital and one of my wife’s classmates is working at a resale job full time and waiting tables at night…

I am just at a stall point right now and looking for feedback from people that maybe have an idea I haven’t thought of….Soooooo, anyone have any tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment