Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Noah update 3

So today, I went online to try and find the race park "GSP" and could not locate it. What I did locate is a place in Kentucky that takes in retired racehorses named Old Friends (http://oldfriendsequine.com/). I sent an e-mail with the story like I have posted here and a link to my blog with the story and pictures. I found a couple of other places as well and contacted them.

At about 1:30pm my cell phone rings and I answer to a very friendly voice...

"Hello Brad?"

""Yes, who is this?"

"My name is Michael Blowen and I am the owner of Old Friends and just got done reading your blog. What a GREAT story!! Brad, I cannot believe that Smokey's Song is still alive"

"You know him?"

"Oh yeah, I watched him race back in 97 and 98...He even beat one of my horses. He was a monster man but boy, they sure ran him into the ground...if I remember right, he ran over 140 races and the Great Barrier Fares (GSP) closed down because they were so horrible. I was racing horses on the East Coast then and am now retired with them in Kentucky. I know the jockey for him too... He was a rough old guy....Drunkard, womanizer...Didn't treat Smokey very nice and other than him being a drunkard ass, he was OK to deal with. But yeah, I know ole Smokey and am so happy to hear he is still around.... Really surprised, but it sure makes me happy"

I was choked up as I listened to him tell me the stories...Another tragic story coming from Noah's history and I even told the guy...

"Man, I am just in shock at how bad this guy has been treated over his years and he is the most gentle, loving and great horse... I hate to hear he was treated so badly but rest assured, the time he as left, he will never see anything mean done to him again!"

I caught him up with what the blog didn't cover and we kept talking...

"Oh Brad, I am so happy to hear that... I have found that it seems the worse they ole racehorses were treated, the more loving they are as they get older."

This choked me up again as I could only imagine how bad he must have been treated if this statement is a truth... Noah (Smokey's Song) is like a puppy and just a pleasure to be around...Makes me sad that people can be so terribly ugly to such magnificent creatures... I will have to make sure to go out tomorrow and give him an extra hug!

Well, we talked for about 30 minutes and he assured me he would be able to find some old trainers and that he knew most of them so he would probably be able to get us some pictures or at least some more history. He said he might even be able to get an old race horse schedule for one of the races he was in. As we got off the phone, he said...

"Well Brad, it has been a pleasure talking to you. Makes me really Happy to know ole Smokey is still around and in good hands. We have about 200 retired racehorses and over 2000 people a year who come to visit our ranch. If you are ever out our way, come see us. We have a bed and breakfast and will put you up and show you around. I am sure we will be able to find some stuff on Smokey and bless you and your wife for giving him a loving place for his final years.... That ole boy deserves it man, he really does!"

We got off the phone and I immediately called Donna to tell her the details...She was just tickled and we have gotten one step closer to putting this puzzle together. I sure hope you guys are enjoying this story as much as we are experiencing it all.

Sure is funny how life works out isn't it???

A little side note here that my wife and I found interesting....

I have a nickname I have called my wife for many years..."TRIXIE" and we found Noah's mother is named Trixie.

Also found that Noah was registered on my birthday in 1988.... Man, what different worlds he and I were in back in those days and how significantly our lives have changed in all this time....He was in a whole different part of the country and through trials, struggles, good days and bads, we wound our ways through our lives to find each other at this point in our life...

There are no accidents in this world... Such a great story and such a great experience.

Thanks again for all of you reading this and following along.

No comments:

Post a Comment