Sunday, February 12, 2012

Working to settle in

As I sit here on Sunday night thinking about the week ahead, I find myself exhausted form the thought process itself. Although I really do support the organization and what we stand for, this adjustment to the process is growing tiresome. The good thing is i feel like I am starting to find my "groove" in this and starting to understand the technical process fo the job....The paperwork, the reporting, the meetings, etc... I was hired in part with this job to promote a new grant to help emply foster youth in care and that have aged out of care. I know I have the ability to make contact and to make this program work.

I am finding that this job has really started to take me away fromt he direct care of people (which has its benefits and downfalls) and again, its a process I am adjusting to. I have been in managmemnet before and find in this job as well as the others I have had, managing people can be such a challenge. I have always found it hard to understand why people have to be so resistant to authority. I myself have struggled with positions of authority as well, but generally it is the resistance to those who want to remind me over and over again that they are "the boss" so I work hard to NOW be this type of person. I work hard to let people know that there are jobs at hand that have to be done and many times its things we dont want to do. My approach has always been one of empathy and understanding of this dislike, so I really direct the tasks in a way so the peopel I manage understand that I am willing to support and even take part in that process as much as possible, and yet, I still am et with resistance.

Another thing I have struggled with as a professional is when I am faced with accountability to things I had no idea I was accountable for....How can one be held accountabel for something they havent been properly educated or trained with??? It is a tiresome and frustrting part of "working." This is another thing I work hard to be different with my approach...I always work hard to explain, inform, support and educate those who I task witht he job so if there is an accountability issue, it is the person responsible for the tast that is accountable.

No comments:

Post a Comment