Tuesday, December 7, 2010

1st Draft

I was able to have 3-4 people commit to editing my book and giving it the "once over." One of the readers (Colter Brown) is a guy I went to school with in College. This guy has been in my life since 03-04 and has been a continuous joy to watch his life unfold. He is a genius, a brilliant and talented young man (kid at that time) and was able to have his Masters in English by the age of 21...WOW!!

We built a friendship over the years and now I consider Colter "family" and would be there for him if he ever needed me.

I was honored to be one of the groomsmen in his wedding and was invited to be at the hospital when his twins were born. He is quirky, funny and has all the traits of a genius... I am honored to be his friend, truly!

Colter was a great choice for me to have edit this book because I know he will be honest and make it solid, impacting and something to be truly proud of when its published. I have, and have always had, GREAT confidence in Colter... And EXCEPTIONAL young man, that's for sure!

When I asked Colter if he would take the time to edit my book, he didn't hesitate...he eagerly accepted the invitation and I will be eternally grateful for this gift.

He asked me to get it printed and given to him in that format so he can design his editing artwork with those nasty red pens we all hate as college students. I told him I would get him the format however he wanted and headed back to my former University to have it printed.

I walked into the Logan Library and went to the front desk. I asked the young girl at the desk...

"Do you have plenty of paper and ink in the printer?"

"Sure, do you have a lot of stuff to print off?"

"Yeah, about 270 pages worth!"

"Uhhhhmmm, yeah, I think we have enough. You know its .05 per copy right?"

"Yup, I will be right back."
I went to one of the library computers, plugged in my flash drive, retrieved the document and hesitantly pressed "PRINT."

After a few minutes, I went back to the front desk and she brought me this 3-4 inch stack of paper with the cover page...

"Climbing Fences"
By Brad Golden
1st Draft


I picked up the stack and was much more emotional than I thought I would be. It was heavy, thick and the reality of my dream, thought and action were now in my hands... It was, to say the least, a very surreal experience to have it in my hands.

Yesterday was the first time I have actually seen my book in printed form and it really brought the idea that thoughts are powerful full force into my head...


THIS was started with a thought, and THIS is the result...WOW!! I am still overwhelmed.

Attached are a few pictures of my first draft...I am sure it will look much different when I get it back form my good friend Colter, but I am excited to see this unfolding like it is.

The engines are firing and i am starting to feel the G-Forces related to a launch....Man, scared, unsure, hesitant....Excited, emotional, determined....and many more back and forth emotions are going on with me right now...

And so it begins... Wish me luck!!

Peace... Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment