Sunday, December 19, 2010

Shanna, Day three

So here we are, 3 days into Shannas move to the Hill Country. She seems happy, content and is getting a lot of great support from people really pulling for her. I thank all of you for the warm wishes and encouraging words to Shanna. She still says she is driven and is even setting up all of her assistance here to start getting her life on the new path.

She seems to be comfortable and Shaylin is really a great little girl. She doesn’t scream and yell, she is inquisitive and talking and learning new words everyday. She understands that I am “Pappy” but she she cant say the “P” part and calls me “Happy” now….Oh how little she knows!! MUUUAAA-HAA-HAA-HAA-HAA!!! ;)

She is a typical two year old exploring a new world but she minds well and loves to sit in my lap and come talk to me. She is truly a little doll. I remember back when I was younger and having three young girls in my life, I had times where they wore me out and questioned sometimes “what the hell was I thinking” but all it took was one cool experience with any one of them to make me realize it was a wonderful thing in my life…And we have had MANY cool experiences together…Each of us together and as a family.

I remember when Shanna was such a little thing when she came into my life. So young, so well mannered, so ready to try things and help…Always such a sweet little thing…And even through the struggles she has had over the last few years in her life, that part of her has never changed or left. She is still that sweet little girl as a beautiful young woman… Truly our baby!

She seems to be clear on the task ahead and is so ready to take it on. I think she would make an amazing elementary school teacher and maybe this is the route she will take. It’s good she sees a light ahead and I am honored to be with her on her journey, and humbled to know she trusts me and feels safe with me. I am also overwhelmed that she wants me to walk this path with her. She seems as excited as I am.

 She told a friend of hers the other day who said…

“What if Joseph comes up there and starts trouble?”

She responded….

“I know Brad will keep me safe….I am not worried or scared.”

Wow, again, I am moved to tears that she trusts me so much. I am so glad she sees my commitment to her greatness and I think she hasn’t had a lot of those people in her life in the past couple of years. Now she has them surrounding her every day. She has NOTHING to be worried or scared about!

I don't think ill of Joseph and realize he has some struggles of his own... I wish great things for him as well. I hope he figures it out and gets his life on track. As is with Shanna, the choice is up to him!

Brandi is as committed as we are and we have all sat and talked about the importance of working together, trusting each other and realizing that us helping each other through the struggles ahead is going to create a powerful bond and a force to be reckoned with.

I am so honored to have these girls, who just ten years ago really didn’t want much to do with me. Now trust me enough to choose to make a sacrifice and a risk WITH me! Man, life really does twist and shift.

I was really concerned in the early years of my ability to be a “step-father” and even my desire to do so. As I look back, I wonder why I ever worried….I look ahead and see such amazing experiences in the future and the TRUE JOY of seeing people you care for, choose different and excel and drive through the hardships to find their greatness. SO, SO, SO rewarding.

Thank you girls, you have all made such a difference in my life.

Donna, an amazing and powerful woman, a person who is the epitome of unconditional love…

Janeen with her humor and wit, and power…

Brandi with her drive and passion and her independence…

Shanna with her huge heart, brave soul and powerful strength to SHIFT from a life of knowing into a life of the unknown…

All such powerful and wonderful traits to bring you all you want in this life!

Thanks for loving me, thanks for trusting me and accepting me into your lives.

The end of this decade will soon be behind us. I have found in my experience, life seems to take on a shift about every ten years. Seems we have different “lives” every ten years. Think back how different your life was at 0-10…then 10-20… then 20-30…or any number of ten years of age time frames.

I hope this next decade offers you a life of lessons, love, hardships, drama, amazing experiences and some struggle to teach you perseverance.

A good ending to start a good beginning….I am excited to look back on this blog in ten years and realize all the great things that have happened…because trust me; it will be quite a reflection…

I hope for greatness for us all and for all others in our scattered families. I love you all!

Peace… Big Daddy!

2 comments:

  1. Okay if making me cry was your objective you succeeded :) I love you big daddy very much and I am so grateful to have you in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh, Thanks Shanna!!

    Not sure how you got into my profile to post this response though!!

    Are you spying on me!! Stay out of my browsing history!! ;)

    Love you sooo much!! I am soooooo very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete