Thursday, May 12, 2011

Making a difference

Yesterday I had an interview and left the house at 10:00am to drive a couple of hours to sit and discuss the opportunity. In the back of my mind, all day, I had an event I wanted to attend but due to the time frame of the interview, I didn't think I would make it. The event was to say goodbye to a couple who I had on my caseload as houseparents at Medina Children's home....Dennis and Connie Triplett.

There are no accidents and as I drove to the interview I got a call from the people and asked if I could come in a little earlier... ABSOLUTELY!! I got there, had my interview (which was great) and then headed back to be at the ceremony!

Now let me explain a bit about what houseparents are....

Houseparents are generally a couple who have decided that the life they live isn't near as important as the lives of others and sacrifice that to go serve children. Most of the time, these are simply well meaning folks who want to give back and have absolutely NO IDEA of what they are stepping into. Being a houseparent is no easy task... Its takes alot of work, alot of love, alot of patience, alot of understanding, alot of "shifting" and changing....It takes special people to do this job! These two folks are special for sure!

When they take the job, they are generally required to take on anywhere from 6 to 10 children who have been abandoned, abused, neglected, etc.... and offer them a home environment with morals, standards and lessons that would not generally be instilled in their lives from their current or past situations.

The kids have all kinds of issues and problems and can range from minor to sever in behavioral problems... Cases that even the best trained professionals struggle with. Housparents (in my experience) generally don't have any specific training in these areas and simply take on the role from the goodness of their heart with a desire and passion to create a better life for kids....Human beings DESERVING of a great life!

When I started at Medina Children's Home, this couple was one of the first I worked with as they had some troubles going on in their "cottage" and I was to help them manage these troubles. Not only were these two people wonderful with the kids, they were ALWAYS eager to learn better tools to help them manage these problems and assist these kids into a better future...They were always ready and eager to help in any way they could.

As I got to know these people, I found they were a couple with a huge heart, a passion for their faith that was unmatched and a desire to serve that was inspirational... I was taken by them from the start!

I moved on from Medina Children's home but even to this day I stay in touch with the houseparents and kids... It is/was a true blessing to be a part of the process at this home and to watch as these kids grow and blossom into young men and women with the past behind them and a bright future ahead... Puts a smile on my face as I type this!

Due to circumstances beyond their control, they had to give up the role of houseparents but stayed on with the organization because of their love for the mission, the kids AND the single moms at this place... They refused to give up, or give in and continued on in other roles at the home spreading their love and care for the people needing help there.

They were always ready to take on the "problems" and gave their time and personal space up whenever it was asked of them... They would take kids to places when we didn't have others, take kids into their homes when problems arose and more direct attention was needed....To me, they always were ready to offer any hand they could... DEFINITELY people I could count on in hard times....I am forever grateful for their service! If not for them, I am quite certain we would have "lost" a few of those kids who are now doing fantastic!

As life goes, opportunity knocked for them and they decided that their mission and time with MCH was completed and heard the calling to bring their hearts and passion for their faith to other areas to serve... Although it was a difficult decision for them, they answered that calling and put int heir resignation with Medina Children's Home....yesterday was their going away party and I was NOT going to miss this!!

So, I went to my interview, drove from 10:00am until 6:00pm to get back to Medina Children's Home and as I walked into the gym at the home to take part in the ceremony, EXHAUSTED from my day of driving, I saw kids and single moms from the home standing up and acknoledging them for their service.... I was energized again!!

As many of you know, I am just a big ole softy at heart and I was moved to tears numerous times as each person stood up and stated how meaningful this couple was/is in their lives.

Of course, I wanted to stand up in front of that room as well and say my part but I just sat back and soaked in the love and compassion from others and just allowed myself to be covered with the love being spread to them from the lives they had touched... What a wonderful experience it was!

I felt it was necessary to blog this experience as it really did move me and I always think its important to give credit where credit is due.

I am unable to mention names of the kids or other people they touched, I can fill you in on some of the impact they made.

I saw kids who were MORE than a handful that came into the home with WAR on their minds, battle in their hearts and struggle as their crutch, turn into fine young people with standards, morals and drive that would not have ever been instilled without the care and love of this couple.

One young man that was in their care who came from terrible abuse is now in college, DRIVING his way through with a passion and determination for excellence... A young woman who came to the home lost, quiet, introverted....Now a college student taking 20+hours a semester, joined the Sorority, making a 3.7-3.8gpa, a passion to become a doctor and the drive to make it happen.... Single mothers who were lost, and through the ministry of this couple have now found Christ and HOPE and BETTERMENT for their lives and the lives of their children... All, in my opinion, because of this wonderful couple! And this is just a glimpseof their accomplishments!

I spoke to Dennis last night before I left, hugged them both, wished them luck and reminded them....

"I know you are like me and the reason you do this work is because you want to make a difference....and like me, you know that if you change just ONE LIFE its worth every step, every struggle and every hardship.... YOU GUYS have impacted and changed more lives here than you will ever know!"

And I mean it!!

So, with this blog, I want to celebrate Oma and Opa and all they have done and will do to touch the lives of others. You deserve the recognition and the praise! The lives of others are forever better because of you!!

I wish you Gods speed in your endeavors....I wish nothing but great things ahead for you and yours.... I am excited to know that there are still people like you in this world because just a short time watching the news or any TV show will make any of us easily forget that the world is not full of selfishness and hate....There is LOVE and CARING and COMPASSION still in this world and you are both the epitome of all of those wonderful things and more! The people out there in the world that are waiting on the path you are walking have no idea how wonderful an experience they are getting ready to have....Have no idea how impacting your presence will be in their lives and I am excited to know you guys will be out there touching those lives!

I will miss you both and I am so very blessed to have gotten to know you and been a part of your lives and witnessed the impact you have made in the lives of others... Way to go guys!!! WAY TO GO!!!!!!

Oma and Opa, you always have a friend in Donna and I! You are special people and I can tell you for sure that you have two cheerleaders here in Texas that see what you have to offer and are excited! Go live large, keep finding the life you deserve, always know with every step you take you are leaving a footprint in the heart and lives of others... KEEP ON ROCKIN!!

I want to end this with a story of Imo, the Hunreth Monkey.... THIS is representative of you both!

The Japanese monkey, Macaca Fuscata, had been observed in the wild for a period of over 30 years.In 1952, on the island of Koshima, scientists were providing monkeys with sweet potatoes dropped in the sand. The monkey liked the taste of the raw sweet potatoes, but they found the dirt unpleasant. An 18-month-old female named Imo found she could solve the problem by washing the potatoes in a nearby stream. She taught this trick to her mother. Her playmates also learned this new way and they taught their mothers too.

 This cultural innovation was gradually picked up by various monkeys before the eyes of the scientists. Between 1952 and 1958 all the young monkeys learned to wash the sandy sweet potatoes to make them more palatable. Only the adults who imitated their children learned this social improvement. Other adults kept eating the dirty sweet potatoes.

Then something startling took place. In the autumn of 1958, a certain number of Koshima monkeys were washing sweet potatoes -- the exact number is not known. Let us suppose that when the sun rose one morning there were 99 monkeys on Koshima Island who had learned to wash their sweet potatoes. Let's further suppose that later that morning, the hundredth monkey learned to wash potatoes.

THEN IT HAPPENED! 

By that evening almost everyone in the tribe was washing sweet potatoes before eating them. The added energy of this hundredth monkey somehow created an ideological breakthrough!

But notice: A most surprising thing observed by these scientists was that the habit of washing sweet potatoes then jumped over the sea...Colonies of monkeys on other islands and the mainland troop of monkeys at Takasakiyama began washing their sweet potatoes.

Thus, when a certain critical number achieves an awareness, this new awareness may be communicated from mind to mind.

Although the exact number may vary, this Hundredth Monkey Phenomenon means that when only a limited number of people know of a new way, it may remain the conscious property of these people. But there is a point at which if only one more person tunes-in to a new awareness, a field is strengthened so that this awareness is picked up by almost everyone!

Way to lead the way guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment