Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Assessments completed

So today I was finally able to get the assessments completed for my caseload....What an emotional experience.

I am already starting to learn so much!!

You know, its funny how people THINK that parents should just "Understand" abuse and neglect....But today I had a really profound moment. In my conference I asked a student....

"Have you ever been a victim of abuse or neglect as a child?"

"No!"

"So have you ever beem pulled from your home by CPS as a child?"

"Yes, I was taken from my parents at birth because I was addicted to methadone at birth....My mom was a heroin addict. I was tossed from family member to family mamber for many years"

"You do understand that this IS abuse right?"

"No, I never looked at it that way, it was just my life."

So how does a child who has a child who does not see a life like she has had as abusive ever understand what abuse is or can be.... Man, such a tough road to try and explain to these kids that what they have experienced is/was abuse???

Breaking the chain can be tough when the links are so solid and engrained... Once again, I am jujst emotioanllay drained after this round of what I heard today and saw today....

Luckily, the paperwork is over and I FINALLY get to "get to work" with these youth.... I THINK the "tough" part of my role (business style part) is over and now I can get to the empowerment, support and accountability part....THANK GOD!!

To end this on a more positive note, our program and our kids made the FRONT PAGE of the local newspaper today....


I am pretty sure most of these kids have NEVER made the paper for a positive thing! This was a GREAT day for our program and QUITE the HUGE boost for these kids....VERY COOL!! I am so excited for them....I know tonight they are all at home and showing family and loved ones THEIR newspaper coverage....FRONT FRIGGIN PAGE newspaper coverage!! WOOOOO-HOOOOOO!!
OWFDWIT!!!

Program welcomes 1st class, working toward graduation and job training

By Peter McCrady Staff Writer peter.mccrady@dailytimes.com
test4YouthBuild
Tom Holden

YouthBuild

Brittanie Hyatt, left, and Christina Garcia receive a hard hat and packet of information from Nathan Cyr on Friday at the kickoff of the first year of YouthBuild, a program that helps young people finish their high school degrees.
Aaron Hill, a 17-year-old Kerrville resident, was excited when he received his certificate of acceptance into the YouthBuild program.

"Basically, everything hasn't been going well for me in high school," he said. "I needed a better layout and a faster way to get me started with my life. I didn't ever want to attend. I basically blew every class off and passed nothing."

Hill was 7 when he moved to Kerrville and moved from California and ttended both Tivy High School and Hill Country High School. Because of his struggles in the public school system, Hill turned to the Baptist Child and Family Services Health and Human Services' YouthBuild program to jump-start his life.
YouthBuild is a nine-month program that is open to people from ages 16 to 24, and gives the trainees construction skills as well as allows them to continue their education by earning a GED or high school diploma.
Hill is part of YouthBuild's first class of 38 students. The new class began Friday with a kick-off ceremony at the Doyle School Community Center pavilion.
Brad Golden, a case manager for YouthBuild, said he was proud of the students that were standing next to him. "The people here today did the work necessary to show us that they wanted to be a part of this program," he said during the ceremony. "They're driven to make their life different and make their life bigger and better for themselves and everyone around them."
Kimber Falkinburg, YouthBuild program director, said the program started with 67 applications, and program officials pruned those 38 through an orientation of four days of "mental toughness," which was described as a miniature YouthBuild program.

No comments:

Post a Comment