Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Conformity (written 12-6-10)

You know, lately I have been in a bit of a funk so to speak. I am finding that the "real" world is all about conformity. I state this as now I am back in the professional world, there seems to be a need to "act" in a certain way to be accepted as a professional.

Now, for me, I think that the best way to be professional is to be good at what you do, passionate about what you do and then BEING yourself in relationship to all of that. I dont think it should matter that a person does "this" or "that" in their life outside of what they do "professionally." I really feel this should be no reflection on how the person is in relationship to what they do in their professional life as long as this is kept seperated.

For instance, I am in a place now professionally where I am looked at with many eyes. I have made my page here only accessible to people on my friends list as I have been confronted on various things you will see on our page (events we go to, tattoos, costumes, etc..). I think it is shameful that someone would relate what they "see" to what is reality and make that assumption with no evidence to support it other than interpretation.
I have found that "being myself" (truly) offers me the best results for my personal life but that "being myself" professionally is seen as radical or too carefree. Why is it when one chooses to live outside of the lines of "normalcy" (whatever that looks like individually) that a judgment has to be placed on that person? Why dont people get attached to who the person IS and not what a person DOES? I mean if a person "does" something in their personal life but is nothing but professional in their "work" life, why should anyone give a shit?

Conformity man, people expect for people to conform to the norm and I am still at a loss as to why people feel that way. I mean lets consider this OK...???

Think of where the MAJOR amount of people live (large cities, major metropolitan areas, etc...) When you go to (or if you live in) these places, pay attention to some things. People in traffic (pay attention to them and how they respond) people on phones all the time (disconnected to their surroundings and people they are with), the statistics on violence in these areas. Man, pay attention to how the clerks treat you in stores or how people in passing never make eye contact or take even a minute to slow down and just take in the beauty of the day.

Now go to a small town and see whats different. People say hi, look you in the eye and make time to even chat with you, hell, you might not even know their name. Traffic isnt so bad, people seem to be more connected, etc...Life just seems easier.

Now, since the MAJORITY of our populations live in these big cities and it is the MAJORITY that decides what is the "norm" for society, how twisted is what we have made up as the "norm" and why to we choose to conform to these "norms?" In reality, people address life in relationship to how they experience it. If this is how "norms" are set in our society and the people who are setting the rules are doing so in relationship to their "experience" what does that say about these "norms"?

I would love to see society where you are allowed your individual freedoms to live life the way you want to as long as it doesnt impact what you do professionally. It is a dycotomy that stumps me sometimes. People put on their "game face" when they go to work and dont really get to BE who they truly are and have to live a life at work as a facade. Why cant people see the difference between professional and personal life? Why do people have to pass judgment on the things you "DO" rather than be accepting of who you are?

Oh well, a rant to rant I guess. Maybe its just me, maybe I am too radical in my personal life to really be that professional person. Maybe I choose the life of who I be rather than what I do. Anyway, I would love to hear thoughts on this.

Peace... Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment