Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My Uncle Bill! (11-5-2009)

Hello all,

I wanted to let those of you close to our family know of a loss we suffered today.

My Mothers Brother, my Uncle Bill passed away today…He was 61 years old.

Apparently, from what I was told, Bill was on a steady decline over the years in regards to his health and well being and was in bad shape. However, I was fortunate enough to not experience that decline and have only fond memories of Bill… I just wanted to share a few to show respect to this passing into whats next.

I remember as a young child Uncle Bill having this “tone” about him that made us as kids just “realize” that he meant business. He never even swatted me once but I never had any doubts he would!

I remember him taking me fishing for the first time for trout. We hiked into this little stream, just he and I, in the hills of Iowa and we got off into the woods pretty good. We didn’t catch one fish but we spent one hell of a fun day together.

I remember him showing me how to row a boat and then letting me take it out into the canal by myself…he allowed me that freedom to be a kid…he was GREAT!! He made me feel like Huckleberry Finn on the Ole Mississip'

He would catch fireflies with us, he showed me how to “shock up worms” (and even let me do it… WOW!!), he liked to play games with us kids and was, in my memory, just a jolly old Uncle that loved us!!

I remember that my cousin Scottie and I caught like 3000 crappie one day and he helped us clean them and showed us how to do it properly… He never seemed like we as kids, were a nuisance to him… Always ready for a hug and to tell ya how much he loved ya, then kiss ya on the face with his scruffy old beard… I loved Bill…Still do!

I am not sure that this message is a way to pay homage (I guess is the word) or just a way to reflect back on a man who made such an impact in my memory! I think that is a good definition of what LOVE is huh??

I am so sorry to my Mom, her Brothers and Sister… (My cousins who have had these experiences as well). The loss of a Brother has got to be an emotional roller coaster but if something can ever be said about me when its my time to go, I hope they remember those special little things and smile…. I am!

I love all of you, please take a moment as we come up to this Holiday season to think on this…Call someone and let them know you love them, mend and old quarrel, just do a little something special for someone because it’s the little things that make the world such a great place!

Gods Speed Uncle Bill!!

Love,
Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment