Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A rewarding day!! 2-25-10

I have had one of the most rewarding days today...Moreso than I have had in a very long time. However, I am so completely exhausted and emotionally spent, I feel like a basket case. Let me fill you in.

So this last week, at work, I had an elderly couple from Michigan who are "snowbirds" at my facility. The woman has congestive heart failure and the complications of that health issue are pretty elaborate.

Well, on Monday, it was clear that her health was taking a sharp decline and she is clearly in her final days. She and her husband (as well as the family) have never had to deal with issues like this and were completely lost in what they needed to do. They were following all the advice given from different sources but her health continued to decline....This little lady was/is dying...

I spoke to the husband about what was going on and he completely broke down in my arms as he talked to me about the concerns he has for his wife. They are a looooong way from home and all the doctors were telling her that she is in no condition to make the trip home... The Doctor refused to release her but her desire was to get home to her family so she could pass away with them by her side... To me, not an unreasonable request.

So I started to work on this issue and found very quickly that the complications associated with this issue were going to be extensive. The major airlines weren't going to be an option...Driving, not an option, air ambulance was 16 to 18k and this too was looking like it wasn't going to be an option...

I went home that night and called some GREAT old friends I have and some family to see what we could do about getting this lady on a plane and back home so she can die with dignity and with her family. Even with all the sources I contacted, we were having a hard time finding a solution to this problem..It was very complex!

After many, many, many hours on the phone with this family and various other people, the family was able to secure a small plane to fly down and pick their mom up. The rough part is that this lady cant walk and is in REALLY bad health so getting her ON the plane was going to be a huge issue all in itself.

I did my best to keep the husband and wife out of the complications of the trip and worked directly with the daughters so we could minimize any stress on this little old couple. They had so much going on and I wanted them to focus on each other...If these are the final days, I don't see any need for this couple to be worried about ANYTHING other than their time together.

So, today, at 8:00am, me, along with my boss, a nurse and a CNA, we took this sweet, loving little lady to the airport. She was ashy, not breathing well, and not feeling all that great, but man, was she a trooper!

I also want to add that the organization I work for, they are definitely a "QUALITY" organization... I am so very blessed to have this team to work with me and for me. The boss took great risk in regards to liability to have us, as employees of this organization, get this lady to her home. She left against medical advice and I don't want to bore you with the legalities of what "could" take place. I will say that I believe there is no great reward without great risk!

We were able to get the lady on the plane with a family member and a nurse. We were VERY concerned that she would not make this trip home. It was a small plane and I literally had to lift this lady in my arms to get her into the seat. Once we got her settled in, I made her look at me and told her "OK sweetheart, here we are, you are on your way home now." I cried, she cried, hugged me, held me tight and gave me the sweetest kiss... Man, I wish I could explain in words all that has taken place over these last few days!

I got off the phone a few minutes ago with the daughter who said her mom made the flight home and is doing OK.

Sometimes I feel like I get too attached to the folks I work with because I get so emotionally drained when working through a crisis with people who are "lost." This has been a very emotional week for me, and today I have caught myself overwhelmed with emotion... However, I cannot see myself doing anything else.

What a HUGE reward this was for this family, me, and those who have been involved in her care. There is NO MONEY in the world that can match the feeling I have today.

I can honestly say that this has been one of the most rewarding days I have had in a very long time!

Just wanted to share with you guys...

4 comments:

  1. Hey Brad

    This is Emily Conn from Schreiner. I wanted to thank you for the work you did to help that couple. Although I don't know them or the family, as someone who just lost her grandmother, who I was very close to, I know that family greatly apprecieated it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emily,

    I appreciated the experience and the time. It was absolutely my pleasure! Thanks for taking the time to read it and respond. Hope you have a great holiday.

    Peace...Brad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Brad for all you do! I want to thank you especially for all your help in what you did for this couple and for the family! May God bless you and may you have a wonderful and amazing year 2011.

    Grandson to this couple in your story,
    ~Mitch Misak

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mitch, it was ABSOLUTELY my pleasure!! You have a WONDERFUL family!! I was blessed to be a part in all of this!

    Thanks for responding!!

    Peace...Brad

    ReplyDelete